Thursday, May 28, 2009

what's in a name?

Here's something I wish I was making up, but it's actually true. We have a new administration building on campus. I know times are bad and budgets are scarce, but I guess they'd started the building before the economy tanked. Anyway though, what cracks me up is that they're calling the building "DBD," an acronym that doesn't mean anything. Everyone on campus knows that the building houses Administration and Student Services and that the real acronym for it is ASS. Kind of fitting too, because right now the biggest project coming out of there is the Campus Re-Accreditation Plan (CRAP). With the obvious genius that goes into naming things on my campus, I'm glad that the library is just called "Library."

2 comments:

  1. This story doesn't match your funny acronyms story, but it's true nonetheless. The Univ. of Texas at Austin and other Texan institutions had a renowned benefactor in Ima Hogg, the daughter of a governor of TX, James Stephen Hogg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts always make me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete